If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Flaky Swirl Yam Mooncakes 芋頭酥 (1)

I saw many Chinese bloggers have started making mooncakes, i just started my engine making mooncake yesterday, hehehe..My sister sent me a nice "Pinang yam" which is homegrown and organic. I quickly use it to attempt this flaky swirl yam mooncakes again because i am not so satisfy with last year's mooncake look



IMG_7398

IMG_7366 copy


I saw Honey Bee Sweet using ghee instead of shortening (last year i used shortening) and her flaky mooncake look so beautiful..So this time i changed from shortening to ghee, and i am satisfied with the mooncake look this time.

IMG_7358

In order to let the filling look more attractive, i added purple sweet potato ..
IMG_7352


IMG_7357

Which type you like? marble or simple purple ring around?
IMG_7395


IMG_7397

Ya, for the yam filling, i did not followed to my earlier recipe (Teochew O  Ni style) this time. This time i followed to original Carol's recipe. I have to omit milk powder from the original recipe because i found the texture of filling was quite dry before adding milk powder (i guess difference type of yam giving difference texture). Anyway, my family still prefered to old filling recipe because they complaining the filling taste very strong milky (奶味). Imagine i did not add milk powder, if i add milk powder, then the taste will be too milky..
I still sharing the Carol's filling recipe here, if you prefer not milky filling like me, you may refer to my old recipe.
Ya, when rolling the dough, i did not rest the dough in between like last time, I "sekali gus" finished roll it, but still resulted flaky skin, save time!
We love this yam mooncake because it is less sweet as we can control sugar amount..



Flaky Swirl Yam Mooncakes 芋頭酥 (1)
(recipe source: adapted from Honey Bee Sweet, original from Carol, you may refer to detail steps photo at my old post )
*Makes 18pcs

Yam filling

625g yam peeled, cut into chunks
IMG_7363 copy 100g caster sugar
38g salted butter

Method

1. Steam the yam chunks at high heat till soft. While still hot, add in sugar and butter, mash the yam till creamy. Set aside to cool.
2. Weight 30g each and shape it to ball.

Purple sweet potato filling

200g peeled, steamed and mashed
20g confectioner's sugar
20g unsalted butter

Method

1. While the mashed sweet potato is still hot from the steaming, add in the butter and sugar in. mash with fork till all incorporated. Set aside to cool before use.
2. Weight 20g and wrap over yam ball, set aside.

Oil dough

255g cake flour
120g Ghee
1/4tsp yam essence
Few drop of purple food coloring

Method

1. Mix cake flour, essence and ghee together till it's soft and pliable. Then add the food coloring and knead till the color is uniform. Cover and let rest 20 minutes or chill in fridge till needed.

Water dough

300g plain flour
23g icing sugar
105g ghee
115g ice cold water

Method

1. Mix everything together and knead till it comes together into a pliable soft dough. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.

To make flaky swirl yam mooncake

1. Weight water dough 60g each and oil dough 40g each, shape into ball.
2. Flatten water dough and wrap oil dough inside.
3. Roll out into long shape and roll up like swiss roll.
4. Roll from the shorter side into long shape and roll up like swiss roll from shorter side.
5. Cut the dough into 2 portions and repeat the rest of the dough until finished.
6. Flatten the dough start from the swirl side and roll out into a round disc.
7. Flip over and wrap in yam filling and seal it tightly, seal edge facing downwards.
8. Place on baking tray and bake in preheated oven 170C for 25-30mins.
9. Cool well before cutting.

Nowadays bakery ingredients shop is selling with full set of mooncake packaging...

IMG_7402

72 comments:

Mandy said...

我也做了,但味道“麻麻”,所以还在考虑要不要上帖子。。。呵呵呵呵

你做的很美!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

The layering is very clear this time.

So smart of u to add purple sweet potato. I like the round one better.

If I am not wrong the resting in between is to allow the dough to be stretchable, so that it won't break so easily.

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Ya, I also prefer Teochew style o ni.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Angel, i found the dough still flexible to roll (and not break) eventhough i did not rest it. Initially i did rest the dough first but when come to rolling time i did not..

PH said...

I like the look of your mooncake. The flaky pastry do look very flaky. This is too complicated for me hee..hee....so I just buy from shop :)

Elaine said...

What lovely swirls! The mooncakes look gorgeous and I am sure they taste great as well. Wonderful!

Yee Ling said...

Fuuuhh...sounded so tedious the step. For being time..i drool over ur mooncake first.

cikmanggis said...

anak-anak selalu tanya kenapa Cm tak buat moon cake sendiri...sebenarnya Cm tak berani cuba,takut tak jadi tetapi bila lihat resipi Sonia ini..rasanya boleh cuba..trial n error...Nampak sungguh cantik dan intinya menarik sekali(purple) .

ann low said...

Love the swirl! Very nicely wrapped and beautiful :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh very very nice! Love the layering this time! Guess the ghee helped, heehee! I've just made the filling (both purple sweet potato & yam) , will make the mooncake this weekend. :) oh yes, I don't add milk powder into the filling too, just abit of sugar and tiny bit of butter and already very good. :)

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

好美丽哟
层次好明显:)

Debs @ The Spanish Wok said...

Your mooncakes look wonderful to me. I've been wanting to make these for so long but never seem to get around to it.

Maybe it's time these got ticked off the list too.

珊珊 said...

拍手。。。再拍手。。。。
很棒的芋頭酥。。。。。。
我很喜欢吃。。。可是看起来很多步骤。。很难一下,
我不敢挑战咯!!

Mel said...

I have never make Mooncake ever before but I would like to give it a try! Oh my, Yam & Purple Sweet Potatoes both are my favourites....I think I shouldn't procrastinate any further. This mooncake must be yummy and delicious.

irene myme said...

哎哟。。很美咧,你好clever哦,add了紫薯的更漂亮。我喜欢那个round look的~~

btw,Eileen家那个“荷花”月饼模型,你的朋友还有兴趣吗?我可以帮你买哦?
对了,你有FB吗?Sonia Sun是你吗??我有request可没有reply哦,我的FB名字是ireneyyep~~~

Angelic Heart~ said...

nice! love the swirl.
i did made another batch last weekend, with different filling as the 1st batch i made, will post later :)

spdong said...

层次做得很分明,漂亮哦~
嗯,我也不喜欢那个重奶味的内馅,所以如果有mood做的话会试妳的食谱了!嘻嘻~

Dumpling Love said...

Good job, Sonia! they look fantastic! I like the one with the purple ring around it most, but they both look great =)

Unknown said...

beautiful mooncake! love the swirls

Somewhere in Singapore said...

So beautiful...

Unknown said...

这个Mandy已经做给我们都有吃了,味道还不错,不过。

你的酥皮月饼看起来很漂亮,层次很分明,颜色很吸引总之就是“漂亮”

Joelyn said...

How beautiful! I am looking around to buy these type of mooncake but could not find any this year. I miss this mooncake.

Bakeling said...

Both filling look good !

Amie said...

Wonderful! Sangat cantik & unik!

Veronica said...

Sonia, your mooncakes look so beautiful, especially the layering. Thumbs up!

Li Shuan said...

Friend, once ur engine start u went into high level skill mooncake ah?haha.... We only at beginner and entry level le....!

I like this flaky mooncake, very nice. Yours swirl looks great. I like The one with outer darker purple colour one. Eh...got spare one for me or not?

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Looks perfect! clap clap clap! :-)

Ana Regalado said...

You should see the mooncakes that they're selling here ! For sure you'll be spoilt for choice ! lol And some are way too expensive tsk tsk :P

Another gorgeous creation , Sonia ! These look really fantastic ! Great job ! :D

shan said...

美美~

我比较喜欢purple ring的。

我也send了FB request给Sonia Sun,是你吧?

Jihyeon said...

感覺好難做!有時還真佩服你!

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Love the swirls, so beautifully done. The purple inside really adds to its beauty.

Puan Ros @ Sinaranmenu.blogspot said...

Sonia, it looks wonderful.Hubby kakRos pernah suruh buat moon cake.kak Ros tak berani nak buat tapi sangat suka makan..hihihi...kak ros mesti cuba resepi ni la and perhaps by that time mooncake festival is over...huk..huk..

divya said...

tht's looks so tempting ...yum

ChrisAu said...

yam mooncakes !!! yummy !

Unknown said...

wa... nice to eat... i want to eat yours. hi.... yummy....

zila norazila said...

this is special design..ur very cretive sonia..good job dear..:)u have magic hand lol..

Baby Sumo said...

They both look nice, but I prefer the simple purple ring round. I also need to start my mooncake making engine soon.

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I also just find out shortening is bad for our health and thinking of using ghee to replace it.
This is my family favourite, so die die must do, haha!

Gloria Baker said...

I love mooncakes and always think make some day I find so pretty!
Your look georgeous Sonia I love them!

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
看着你的芋头酥。。一个字!!
掂!!!
很有水准呢~~没有两三下功夫做不成呢~~~
呵呵呵!!棒!!

Sem said...

This looks so good, but must be very time consuming in making the flaky pastry? What brand of ghee you are using? Is the Ghee come in green colour can that we normally see in supermarket?

Unknown said...

i like the simple purple ring! 好像会发光的“玉环”!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

两款我都喜欢,会不会很贪心?哈哈哈!

Bakericious said...

Sonia, your yam mooncakes looks so nice, love the purple color.

Anonymous said...

I like to eat this type of mooncake. Your recipe is interesting but I find it difficult to follow especially the pastry part. If you can a video of the process it will be great

Casey said...

好美好美,真的好美咯!
芋头和甜薯馅一定好好吃!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Ghee is commonly use in Indian cooking & HBS is very creative in choosing ghee instead of shortening. I forgot how your last year's flaky mooncakes look like but I really love this batch & I prefer the simple ring pattern. Eh, Malaysian purple sweet potato colour is very sharp, no need to add lemon juice also the colour looks very bright. Here they are in pale purple b4 steaming & dull purple after steaming. My holidays have now been extended a bit, now have 3 weeks in Malaysia, I've thinking may be I can spend more time with you, learning something from you, hehehe!

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

really missing all these dishes and feeling home-sicken whenever i visit ur blog dear...btw the yam moon cake looks great:)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sem, yes, i buy the dark green tin that you can seen in any supermarket, this time i bought QBB pure Ghee.

3 hungry tummies said...

I am a big fan of flaky mooncake...oh almost mooncake festival !

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Speechless, Sonia! These mooncakes are super gorgeous and I've never seen anything like it. I think I will love these yam mooncakes more than regular ones!

Passionate About Baking said...

So pretty Sonia! I love the purple outer cover layer more. Very nice colour. :)

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Wow look so pretty and good especially made from home-grown product. Yum yum.

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

I've never had a flaky yam mooncake before, these look so fluffy and yummy, what a fantastic alternative to the traditional mooncakes.

daphne said...

it's so pretty! I haven't had yam moon cakes before I think- especially the flaky kind.

Jes's Deli Corner said...

Nice swirl..I just bought the ingredient this morning..haven't start yet

Little Corner of Mine said...

I love anything taro and yours just hit the spot! Very nicely done. :)

Sokehah cheah said...

Nicely layered swirls. Must be yummy as I love yam too!

lena said...

so pretty! both the fillings are nice and i fyou ask me, i prefer the marbled ones. I remember last time i made pau from the 孟老师's recipe using sweet potato filling, she used a lot of butter too, i think probably the taiwanese love it that way.

QembarDelites said...

I did the purple sweet potato filling for my swirl mooncakes before and liked the taste very much. I will try it again this year...yours look really beautiful! I like both versions the way you wrap your fillings:D

Unknown said...

I wonder what it taste like. I want to try these beautiful mooncakes.Thanks for sharing by the way. God bless you.

Perth Wedding Video

Yannie said...

This look too complicated for me, Sonia, I need another few years to gain the courage for trying this . Your mooncake is very beautiful.

饱满人生。。。 said...

Love the swirls, I did this few years ago and looks very ugly still don't have the courage to try again. You did it so nice ;)

Eileen, Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

The swirl in each layers is very clear and pretty! I love eating this.

Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious said...

LOVE the swirls :) Bagus sekali kue nya!!

Cosy Bake said...

Beautiful layers!! So envy! Wonder will I be able to that. You are really good!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia,
I've tried your recipe using shortening and it was very well received.
I am planning to do another batch of 18 pcs but still using shortening instead of ghee. Can I follow the ingredient amount based on this (芋头酥1) recipe but replace ghee with shortening ?
By the way, is shortening healthier than ghee or they are both the same ?
Thanks !

BB

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia

I saw your blog have mentioned there is one blog have upload video of showing us the step by step of doing the water dough but now I cant find where is it. Can you show me the weblink?
Jocelyn

Febry said...

Hi sonia,
Can I use this filling recipe for baked mooncake?

Febry said...

Hi sonia,
Can I use this filling recipe for baked mooncake?

Anonymous said...

Tried this and it turned out well! Was really happy! But anyone has any idea why did the purple sweet potato change colour (it turned bluish black) on the 3rd day and how to prevent it?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin