If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pink Ombre Cake with Rosette Swiss Meringue Buttercream


Today I just collected Lucas' IC (He is 12th now) and also celebrating my daughter's 15th years Birthday. Two of them considered adults now and i can no more save some money from entrance fee, ticket fee & etc, aiyah..
The other day i asked my daughter what type of Birthday cake she wants, she said chocolate cake. But I beg her for this cake because i wanted to make this cake for longer time. She said this cake look sweet and lovely but she said a lot of colouring ler, and i told her this is only once in a year and we just eating a small piece, it is ok lar, we will not die one, hahahaha..


IMG_5961 copy

This cake look simply gorgeous !

IMG_5998 copy

Also i wanted to try decorating with Rosette method becase Amelia shared a post on this last year and special dedicated to me and few other bloggers. Amelia, Thanks for your kind sharing.

IMG_5969 copy

I use Wilton Rose Icing to make pink colouring and mix a bit of Tulip red to make darker pink.

IMG_6034

IMG_5916

IMG_5918



I prefer Wilton 1M tip as it make beautiful rosette pattern and look 3D.

IMG_6039

But rosette buttercream using 1M tip is heavy, see it drop after several hours. Also due to i did very thin layer of frosting on the sides or maybe i should kept in the fridge..

IMG_5979

I tried with tip 35, this tip also has nice rosette pattern (thought not as nice as tip 1M) and it need less buttercream and not heavy. I will use tip 35 if i will make a rose cake next time.

IMG_6042

I made a special post on the detail steps of Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I use this cream to apply for the whole cake.

IMG_5941

IMG_5943 copy

IMG_5944

I use difference pastry bag to fit with tip and frosting, so easy to change difference colour of frosting ..

IMG_5945

Oh, this cake look so dreamy and sweet, perfect for every girl..

IMG_5991 copy



I knew this type of cake sure taste sweet, i tried to reduce sugar (50g),  but it still taste very sweet...But my two sons they seem like this cake..
 
Pink Ombre Cake with Rosette Swiss Meringue Buttercream
(Recipe source: adapted from Raspberries Cupcakes with minor changes, rosette method from Amelia’s de-ssert)
*makes 5 x 18cm (7”) round cake

For the cake

IMG_5961 copy 355g cake flour
2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
200g milk
1 and 1/2tsp vanilla extract
350g caster sugar
227g unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs

Pink food colour (I used Wilton Rose and Ameri color Tulip red colouring)

Jam to spread between layers and sides, I used 200g Swiss Meringue buttercream)

For the frosting- for the rosette, spread between layers and sides- refer to Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe x 2.5 times for tip 1M, x 1.5 times for tip 35


Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line the base of tins with baking paper.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. Mix milk and vanilla together in a measuring jug.
3. Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat sugar and butter in a large bowl until blended. Increase speed to high and beat for 2 mins or until pale and creamy.
4. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mix and milk mixture, beat until smooth.
5. Divide mixture evenly into 5 medium bowls (about 270g per bowl). Leave one bowl of batter white, then very gradually add colouring to each bowl and gently fold it into the mixture, adding slightly more colouring as you do each bowl so that the 5 bowls give you a even gradient of colour.
6. Pour batter into prepared tins and bake each layer for about 20-25 minutes or until a skewer into the centre comes out clean and the outside is golden. Cool in tin for 5 mins and then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
7. Prepare cake for icing, you may need to trim the tops a bit to make sure they are level. Coat buttercream between layers and all sides.
8. Put your 1M tip (or tip 35 for small rosette) into the pastry bag. Take another pastry bag,fill it up with buttercream frosting (start from darker colour), cut off the end, place buttercream pastry bag into pastry bag that with tip.
9. Start in the center, then slowly move your tip in a circle around the center point. Try to end in the same place each time. Repeat until whole cake covered with rosette buttercream.
10. Store cake in room temperature.

My daughter not allowed me to put her face in this post, so no choice i have to  trim her photo..

Happy Birthday to my sweet girl !!

photo (2)

91 comments:

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Hi, I love the colours of the cake. They are so sweet and pretty, perfect for a girls. Happy birthday to your daughter!

Joceline Lor said...

Sonia,会不会很累地准备这个蛋糕?好多层哦。嘻嘻嘻~

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Goodness Sonia, what are the odds? I just posted a similarly decorated cake last night, haha! Also pink ombré but my cake is red velvet and light cheese cake instead. I bet your daughter love this cake to bits! Love the gradual color in the cake layers, pretty and sweet!

珊珊 said...

美到让我有点呼吸困难的蛋糕。。。
好好好好好喜欢。。。。。。。

Nadji said...

Ce gâteau a un dégradé de couleurs absolument magnifique.
Je vais essayer cette meringue au beurre qui me parait bien meilleure que la traditionnelle crème au beurre.
Bon anniversaire à ta fille.
See soon

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

看那半张脸
你的女儿是个美人哦:)
和你的蛋糕一样美丽

0620 said...

happy birthday to your gal
even only see half of a face
still can imagine how 秀气 is she :)

Amelia said...

Hi Sonia, thanks for the mention. Really appreciate it very much.

Your cake and rosette flowers look so gorgeous. Very cute and pretty, the color is so sweet not only perfect for girls, perfect for mothers too :)

Well done, your piping skill is good. Love your 5 layers of cake, sinfully delicious.

Our weather here too hot and humid, usually cream cannot stand too long hours outside room temperature, best to keep in the fridge.

Have a nice day. regards.

Mel said...

Oooh.... you done so beautifully this cake! Happy Birthday to your dear daughter! She should be happy that she made this cake so beautiful for her.

幸福滋味 said...

蛋糕好漂亮!!
很棒的挤花,
颜色搭配的很好。

ann low said...

Two Thumbs UP!! Very impressive cake.

PH said...

Sonia, that is a beautiful, beautiful, cake. Just like buy from kedai. Your daughter so lucky!

Yan said...

A happy birthday girl and a beautiful birthday cake here !

Sem said...

I must say this is a very beautiful cake, how long you need to spend piping the roses?

Karen said...

Happy birthday to your gal sonia, love this sweet n lovely cake.. double thumbs up .... :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sem, actually piping roses took not that long, one rose to another rose, it is quite fast, but it took me quite long because buttercream was not enough and i have to rush out to buy butter and make buttercream again, hehehe..I have give the exact butter you need in the recipe by using tip 1M and 35.

Small Kucing said...

the color is simply divine. love the way the roses formed. Great work!

Veronica said...

Happy Birthday to your girl. She is so lucky to have a very capable mummy who can bake her such a beautiful beautiful cake.

ice pandora said...

I'm totally jello
about the talent
that you have!!
This cake is beyond
beautiful c:

xx

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

wow, sonia, this is rather a big project and u complete with excellent result, well done and wishing your sweetie happy birthday.

Suet Ling said...

It's a nice cake.. Happy birthday to ur girl

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Wow what a perfect and beautiful looking cake! Love it!!! I better not show it to my girl, because she'd definitely want one too!

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

Sonia, everything you make always look so perfect! This cake is simply sensational!! I love all the layers and the details, it's as beautiful as your daughter's lovely smile ~ Happy birthday to her :) ~~

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia,1st of all,happy birthday to your princess,she is pretty though I can Only see the lower part of her face,bring her out to meet me next time,haha! The cake is heavenly pretty! And the efforts,a big clap to you! All the colours were perfectly mixed & I like all the pink tones that you've used!Aiyoh,how can I show my son's birthday cake now compares to yours, haha! It was his birthday on last Sat but since I don't have laptop to use at home,I've to wait until tomorrow so I can do it at my PIL's house.No wonder you said you need a break on Hari Raya! You are so geng Cao,you even took the cake to your backyard,it must be hard to move this cake around with all these rosette frosting on the cake

Jane Chew said...

Happy birthday to ur sweetie! Really a hard work for mum to prepare this 爱心蛋糕。good job!

Crystal Loh said...

这蛋糕太漂亮了啦!。。。醉了

Tina said...

Wht a perfect cake..So lovely and beautiful..

Simple Person said...

yes it is really a gorgeous cake.. nice

mia111 said...

such a beautiful cake! Well done! Can i be your daughter too? hehe...

zila norazila said...

wahhh sonia.,,really beautiful cake of the world..u make me cry la..he hehee

sathya said...

Delicious looking cake, Happy birthday to your daughter!

Appetite Treats

Anonymous said...

what a lovely cake! can't believe that your children are so grown already!

Li Shuan said...

Happy birthday to Princess J. What a lovely birthday cake. 美到冒泡哪!I'm speechless ! Well done well done. Every step is full of ur love. It must taste wonderful!

Baby Sumo said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! OMG this is such a gorgeous cake... and your daughter is so sensible la.. normally kids where got worry about all the colouring in the cake one.

Ana Regalado said...

Gorgeous cake , indeed ! Even without the buttercream frosting it is still beautiful ! Those colored layers looks spectacular ! A lovely cake for a lovely girl ! Happy 15th birthday to your daughter , Sonia !

Casey said...

wow....this cake is so gorgeous and wonderful, really beautiful!
Happy Birthday to your sweetheart, she must be very very proud of you!

Ling's Passion said...

I love your recipes. You make them sound so simple.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to your princess. Lovely cake!

Annie's Journal said...

What a beautiful cake to comemorate a very special 15th birthday of your daughter! Please give her our greetings too:)

Alice said...

happy bday to your girl!
what a pretty sweet looking cake, Sonia
I have this cake in my waiting list just behind rainbow cake, but just cant find the time yet :P

Yee Er said...

Wow, that's adorable, my daughter will sure call it princess cake...
Happy birthday to ur daughter,尖尖的下巴,应该是个美人^_^。
Thz for sharing the Swiss meringue buttercream.

mui mui said...

Hi Sonia,
Wow! Your cake is so awesome. Love the layers of colour.
Your rosette is so nicely done. Do you actually bake 4 times for the 4 colour shade of this cake?
I like the Wilton 1M tip too. It produce a sharp and nice rosette. I bought one similar to Wilton 1M but it is from China.
I make a rosette semi sphere cake sometimes back and I wish to share with you.
http://my123favourites.blogspot.com/2012/06/cookies-cream-ice-cream-layer-cake-for.html
Happy Birthday to your pretty princess..^^

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia。。。
我也送上最真挚的祝福给那位甜美人儿^^
蛋糕做得实在太美太迷人了~~~
陶醉啊!!!
这很耗心机哦。。。^^bravo!!
做得太棒了。。。

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Happy Birthday to your sweetie!
Wow..your daughter very pretty leh ;)

Artsylicious said...

hi Sonia, wow!! your daughter is 15! next year will be her sweet 16! happy birthday to her and good job to her super-mommy!

Mary said...

This is just lovely! I love the rosette design.

chow and chatter said...

wow what a stunning cake great job mum

Gloria Baker said...

Omg Im agree this cake is rrally georgeous!
Love it Sonia:)

Eileen, Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

So sweet looking! Happy bday to your girl!

lena said...

wow!! this is so beautiful! i tried to make these rosettes but failed miserably!! i'm going to chk out your swiss meringue post.

Dumpling Love said...

That cake looks stunning, Sonia! I didn't know you have a 15 year-old daughter...you look young!

Shereen said...

I couldn't help laughing when i read, "She said this cake look sweet and lovely but she said a lot of colouring ler, and i tell her this is only once in a year and we just eating a small piece, it is ok lar, we will not die one".You are one very humorous lady.. and talented too.Beautiful cake by the way.

Amie said...

Happy birthday to your daughter... smile always!!!! keknya sangat cantik!

Unknown said...

好漂亮的蛋糕。
迟来的祝福,祝你千金生日快乐,青春美丽,学业进步!

Angelic Heart~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelic Heart~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelic Heart~ said...

Lovely cake!
Happy belated birthday to your princess~

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I was walking tonight when your email came in and saw these gorgeous photos. Oh man, Sonia! You are great cook and AMAZING baker!!! This cake is so beautiful!!! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Mui Mui, I have two 18cm pans, so i baked for 3 times to get 5 cakes.

ICook4Fun said...

Happy belated birthday to your daughter. Such a sweet looking cake your made for her. She is one lucky girl.

Jeannie said...

Another gorgeous cake, I'd just been to Honey Sweet Bee's to drool over her lovely cake too!

Yee's Corner said...

I love pink! This cake is princely sweet! Surely yr girl loves it so much! My girl already pte-ordered her Barbie Doll Bday cake in Dec! I think this recipe is just nice to "copy" hehe....thanks yr generous sharing!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter....

If for me, can't bear to eat as so nice... hehe...

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

Sonia, I made one with raspberry. You can try that next time. I'll post up the recipe soon..

Bakericious said...

Sonia, happy birthday to your daughter. Your cake is so beautiful, I love colorful cake! I had made a similar rosette cake too but yet to post it up, not as pretty as yours and bee bee one.

Simply June said...

This is gorgeous!!

Zoe said...

Your kids are grown ups now! You are so lucky... me still counting more days and years :D

Your cake is so gorgeous! You are always a perfectionist in all your bakes.

ibundo said...

dah lama nak buat kek lapis yang colorful macam ni but havent got the time (well.. what a lame excuse). Cantiklah kek you. I like this version of layered colours. Not too striking like the rainbow one.
Anyway, happy birthday to your daughter. It's still not too late kan?

温馨小屋 said...

粉红粉红的层次,好美哦~~
祝你女儿生日快乐~~

Katherine said...

Hi Sonia

Looks like you have become better and better with your cake decorations. Well done!

Elaine said...

Wow, your cake look soooooo beautiful! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Anonymous said...

such an interesting mom u are! love the mild reversal role, whr ur daughter is conscious abt food coloring and privacy, while u are all hyped to present the pretty pink cake to her! happy birthday to ur daughter and may u both remain a loving mom and child forever!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

How can I miss this beautiful cake! I Haply belated birthday to ur sweetie.

choi yen said...

I like cake with thick cream, I know it's unhealthy and fattening but I just love it! :P

Passionate About Baking said...

This is simply gorgeous! Its very pretty. I love the gradual tone. Very appeal with the piped roses. Too beautiful tobe eaten! :)

sasa said...

this cake looks so so so so nice
i love it alot especially with elevation look :)

My Little Space said...

Your girl definitely will super love this cake. I too love it. Oooo...wish that I can have a FEW slices. haha...
Kristy

tona-mama said...

Hihi,

I chanced upon your site and just wanted to say wat a pretty cake this is!!! I love it!

Thanks for sharing! If I do make, I'll sure to link you! :)

inessa said...

Gorgeous cake!

Joelyn said...

Happy Birthday to your girl!

Unknown said...

Your cake looks so pretty, giving it a nice princessy look. I like the rosette flowers on the cake. A fresh take on the rainbow cake.

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

I'm not good at piping at all & always impressed with those who can made a cake such as yours! Just Beautiful! Your daughter must be glad to have such a pretty cake for her birthday! Coz I would be MEGA happy if I've this cake! :)

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

Hi Sonia,
The raspberry ombre cake I told u earlier is now up.. http://thesweetspot.com.my/?p=4165 :)

KK said...

Very professionally done cake, indeed.
Love the matching color of the cake and frosting.
May I ask if you left the batter on kitchen counter while baking in batches ? Always wonder if I should keep the batter in the fridge given our humid weather.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

KK, I just keep the batter on island top while waiting.

Kk said...

Thanks, Sonia.

Lisa said...

看那半张脸 你的女儿是个美人哦:) 和你的蛋糕一样美丽

farina said...

hi, i just made a rosette cake inspired by your rosette cake color here. using Wilton 2D tip also gives a quite nice rose swirl..

farina said...

hi, i just made a rosette cake inspired by your rosette cake color here. using Wilton 2D tip also gives a quite nice rose swirl..

Anonymous said...

Such elegant cake!:D Can we use non dairy cream to pipe the roses? Because most of the recipes I found are with buttercream.

Unknown said...

Hi

After piping do i need to put the cake in fridge, if celebration is next day?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin