If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, August 6, 2012

Orange Almond Butter Cake with Honey Almond Crust


Last weekend i brought this cake balik kampung (go back hometown), because my mother is a big fan of butter cake..At first, i tried with a small slim loaf pan for my family, my husband finished almost half of the loaf, he said the Honey almond crust is a winning point for this cake, so fragrant and sweet.



IMG_5538 copy

IMG_5558 copy

I made a bigger size for my mom. She was truly enjoyed this cake..She even said she would like to share it with her friends..

IMG_5635 copy

I re-created this recipe using my old fashioned butter cake recipe, because i love this butter cake as it will not crack after baked, so i can easily spread the honey almond mixture on top which i adapted from Alan's Moroccon Mint and Pistachio Tea cake.
Personally i feel this cake a bit oily, but my mom and husband were not agreed, they said butter cake should taste this way..So every person has difference preference..

Orange Almond Butter cake with Honey Almond Crust
(Recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover, crust recipe adapted from Alan (Travelling foodies)
*makes a 8” square pan with removable bottom

For the orange almond butter cake
227g unsalted butter
90g sugar
5 egg yolks (medium)
130g cake flour
100g almond meal or almond flour
1tsp double action baking powder
5tbsp orange juices
1tsp orange zest, 1/4tsp salt

5 egg whites (medium)
90g sugar

For the honey almond crust
90g almond slices
50g honey
30g butter

Method
1. Sift cake flour and baking powder, set aside.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light and creamy.
IMG_5578

3. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

IMG_5579

4. Add in almond flour, salt and orange rind, mix well.

IMG_5582

5. Add in cake flour, baking powder and orange juices, combine well.

IMG_5583

6. Beat egg whites in a clean large bowl until foamy. Gradually add in sugar, and beat till soft peak.

IMG_5586


IMG_5588

7. Take one portion of the egg white mixture, and use a hand whisk to stir well with batter till combine and thick paste.

IMG_5589

8. Slowly fold in the balance egg white with a spatula till well combine

IMG_5591

9. Spoon the batter in the cake pan which line the base with paper and lightly grease.

10. Bake at preheated oven at 180c for 45mins or until cooked.
IMG_5592

11. To prepare honey and almond crust topping, add butter, honey and almond slices into a shallow saucepan. Heat to melt the butter and honey, ensuring that the almond slices are well-coated with the honey-butter mixture.
IMG_5599

12. Top with the honey almond crust mixture evenly over the cake and return the cake to the oven at 180C until the almond are roasted to a lovely golden brown, which takes approx. 8 min.
IMG_5600



IMG_5601

13. Wait for the cake to cool down before slicing.

IMG_5631 copy

56 comments:

Yee's Corner said...

I think I can eat the whole loaf with a cup of black coffee! Bookmark this! Hehe...

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我看中蛋糕顶端的那层
好棒

Karen said...

Butter cake is my all times favorite, love the topping honey almond crust..hehe..bookmarked liao, must try this one day..:) thx for sharing ya....

Bakericious said...

Sonia, I love butter cake and I am eyeing on the almond crust, making me drooling.

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

oh yes, i think we shake hand before to exchange this with my orange flavour mini cupcake ya, hahahaha!

thanks for sharing a lovely cake with the almond crust topping

Little blue said...

Sure this cake is really yummy and I like this topping ... very special.

Mel said...

Oh Butter cake with added almond meal...mmmmm I have never baked this before and with that topping too, I know I am going to love having this cake too. I like butter cake with a little oily in there.

Yannie said...

Super nice, Sonia. From the picture, I know it tasted heavenly.

Sissi said...

What a beautiful cake! I love the almond and honey topping idea.

PH said...

I like the honey almond crust. Will try that with my next butter cake.

Veronica said...

Beautiful colour especially with the topping. Must be fantastic with a cup of coffee.

Unknown said...

Sonia, you are such an amazing baker and cook! Love what you did to the orange cake. What a twist, by taking it up a notch. Love those crunchy almond flakes on top too. When I am not baking, I tend to go out and buy myself orange chiffon cakes, just because I am lazy to bake it myself. Guilty :P. Looks like I must start sharing more of our local sweet treats too. Huggs, Jo

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Wah one stone kills two birds

My mum also prefers butter Cale than light cake

Bakeling said...

This is unique and the almond honey crust just the right taste for this cake !

Pete said...

Wah, balik kampung bring homebaked cake.....special leh!

Jane Chew said...

Beautiful cake and bet is delicious too.

Min said...

I think I will love the honey almond crust too, the crust makes the cake taste and look better :) Would love to try this out soon!

Li Shuan said...

I can imagine the flavours of this cake by looking at your pic and ingredients. I used to make the topping with glucose syrup but I think using honey as the caramel topping taste so much better. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Sally said...

上面那层杏仁片一定超好吃的。。
蛋糕卖相也很漂亮,很适合拿来当手信噢^_^

Baby Sumo said...

I love the look of the topping.. I'm sure it made the ordinary butter cake extraordinary!

Ana Regalado said...

Such a fantastic looking cake ! Would like to try to bake this sometime :D

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Where is your home town huh? So kepoh, hehehe! Yes, definitely lolve the crunchy flaked almonds on top of the butter cake. Do you know that I haven't baked a butter cake b4? It was my fav cake when I was young!

Food Handlers Certificate said...

Definitely a must-do recipe. I can't wait to try this recipe! My mom and my brother is coming this weekend. It'll be really great to give them this cake as a surprise.

Indian Khana said...

wow this looks so tempting and nice ... loving it

Joceline Lor said...

我被蛋糕上的杏仁给迷惑了。。。。。。
应该是很香、很香的味道。这个old fasion butter cake很好吃的。我曾用了你的食谱做过。我会再试这个蛋糕。很赞~

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

hehe...my mum also like that, like to share yummy cake with her friends :)
I must try this, looks yummy!

Unknown said...

Wa, a very yummy cake. 让我留了很多口水。ur hand is amazing, all wat u bake all look very good. i still have to learn more and more from u. hi....

Cheah said...

Wow, I'll attack the crust first. This is a must try! Thanks for sharing, Sonia!

Nadji said...

Moi aussi, j'en voudrai un morceau avec ma tasse de thé. Ce gâteau semble délicieux.
A bientôt

Little Corner of Mine said...

The topping sounded delicious! And the cake looks very moist.

zila norazila said...

the honey almond crust..vry special la..frst time i saw :)

daphne said...

I agree! I like that topping!! I wouldn't be able to resist this. anything with almonds, I like!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Loves the topping very much!!!

茵茵 said...

I can imagine how fragrant this cake will be with all the almond flakes toppings! Yummy!

Casey said...

哇。。。好棒的牛油蛋糕,我也是被上面那些又香又脆,金黄色的杏仁片给吸引了,哈哈!

Yummy Bakes said...

I love this butter cake especially the generous topping of almonds.

Jeannie said...

I wonder how you manage to unmould the whole cake without dislodging the almond flakes? Very nice looking cake, yummy!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Jeannie, i use a removable bottom pan, ya, i need to note this in the recipe, Thanks for checking.

Unknown said...

单看照片就已经知道它一定很美味了,特别是那烤的金黄色的杏仁片真的很吸引,请我这寿星女吃一片。。。呵呵呵!

sathya said...

Fantastic looking cake,love the top crust!

ann low said...

I love the golden crust on top of the cake. Looks so pretty and delicious!

Joelyn said...

Looks like a winner, I must go an get those almond flakes soon!

Barbara said...

Sonia, what a gorgeous cake! And the flavors must be divine.

Anonymous said...

Hope you and your family like the honey almond crust on top. :)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Simply love that cake of urself..looks so mouth-watering:)

My Little Space said...

Sonia, I think your hubby should be putting on weight very quickly in this way. haha.... Gosh, he's a very quick eater as well. Oh yeah, the honey almond is sure a winner. I love it too.
have a lovely evening.
Kristy

The Sweet Maison said...

Hi Sonia,
Thanks for the honey almond crust recipe. I tried it with my brownie cake yesterday and it turned out fantastic!

iffatali said...

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
Flights to Cape Town
Cheap Flights to Cape Town
Cheap Air Tickets to Cape Town

iffatali said...

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
Flights to Cape Town
Cheap Flights to Cape Town
Cheap Air Tickets to Cape Town

Frky Halpern said...

I think I can eat the whole loaf with a cup of black coffee! Bookmark this! Hehe...

BaObEI said...

Hihi. Can i replace cake flour with plain flour and double action baking powder with baking powder?

Unknown said...

Looking forward to make this. So pretty and delicious looking - saw this a while back and have been longingly eyeing up the almond flour at the health food store.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to make this. So pretty and delicious looking - saw this a while back and have been longingly eyeing up the almond flour at the health food store.

y@n said...

Hi,may I know what modification should be done if I want to bake it in a 8inch round pan?

Keep Your Memories said...

Hi sonia,
Can I replace the almond meal with coke flour?
Thanks in advance for your advice

Angeline

Unknown said...

Looks great

Blog Widget by LinkWithin