If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, April 23, 2010

Fish cake and fish balls noodle soup

I like to order this type of fish cake noodles soup in one of the restaurant nearby my area, they serve very fresh fish balls and fish cake. Yesterday i just imitated this noodle soup at home since I bought a fresh Spanish mackerel from the market.

IMG_8618 1

-Fish cake after pan fried

IMG_8603

-Fish cake slices..

IMG_8608

Fish cake and fish balls noodle soup
(printable recipe)

To make fish paste-
600g fish meat, Spanish mackerel, (ikan tenggiri)
60ml ice water
2tsp salt or to taste
1/2tsp white pepper powder
1/2tsp sesame oil
1tsp sugar
2tsp tapioca flour

1. Mix all ingredients except fish meat in a small bowl, mix well.
2. Place fish meat in another large mixing bowl.
3. Gradually add in liquid mixture into fish meat, stir the fish meat till all combine together.
4. Slap the fish meat against the sides of the mixing bowl several times or until mixture is well combined and sticky, takes about 5mins.

To make fish ball – Wet your hand in a small bowl of salt water, scoop up the flesh and shape like a golf ball size and cook in the broth or a pot of boiling water. The fish ball is thoroughly cooked when it floats on the water surface.

To make fish cake- Wet your hand in a small bowl of salt water, scoop up the flesh and shape long round size. Steam over hot water for 10mins and pan fry in hot oil till golden brown.

To make the bowl – Bring broth to boil (make broth by boiled dried anchovies, salted veggie and water), fill bowl with noodles, fish balls, fish cake slices and small piece of seaweed. Ladle the hot broth into bowl. Garnish with fresh veggie and garlic oil. Serve hot.

**Do try out this healthy and fresh noodle soup !!

IMG_8614

-took a picture when Desmond concentrated doing his homework (writing Chinese letters) from Kindi, this is the moment he can sit still...
IMG_8545

Happy cooking and Have a nice weekend ahead...

44 comments:

Colin Woon said...

Good imitation! That noodle soup looks delicious!

That photo of Desmond doing homework is spectacular! Love it! He sure is concentrating hard!

Colin Woon said...

And I got #1 spot on your blog today?! Hooray!

Bakeling said...

I like this bowl of soup noodle !

Actually I don't like to eat fish cake , unless they are homemade fish cake !

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

omg, u make ur own fishcake and balls, wow respect!

Noob Cook said...

I can have this for my breakfast now! your bowl looks authentic and delicious :)~

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Colin, yes, you are the 1st, please have yourself with a bowl of noodle, hehehe..

Bakeling, ya, eat homemade fish cake, less burden to our body!!

Joe, Thank you for stopping by.

Noobcook, Thanks dear.

Pete said...

Good and delicious home made fish ball and fish cake....Thks for the recipe!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sonia, this looks beautiful and this is one that I can make. Can't wait. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

P.S. Thank your for your kind words. I really appreciate them.

苏联妈妈 said...

i love fish cakes i love fish ball

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I like to eat fish cake but hardly find fish cake that is nice...

Anonymous said...

The fish cake and fish balls noodles soup looks extremely delicious to me! :)

ReeseKitchen said...

Yummy wo...I like fish cakes and fish balls but never try to do it..hee hee! guess I have to try now..;p

Angie's Recipes said...

One of my favourite summer lunch! Love the fried version of fish cakes too!

choi yen said...

the texture of the fish ball & fish paste must be very bouncy!!!

petite nyonya said...

The fish cake looks so good, making that bowl of noodle so yummy!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

You have a great weekend too dear! I love this awesome recipe. You are introducing me to lot of great recipes!

MaryMoh said...

Homemade fish cakes/balls are the best. Your bowl of noodles look very delicious. I wish I can have a bowl now. Wow...Desmond is so adorable!

divya said...

The fish cake looks so good,making that bowl of noodle so yummy and very healthy..

Jeannie said...

Wow! you are very hardworking to prepare fish cakes/balls from scratch! Very delicious looking!

Yee Er said...

My mom used to make that when we were young.... I wanted to try that so mush but can't as my hands can't stand cold water due to joint pain. That's the price that i have to pay for having a proper confinement.

Yee Er said...

Happy weekend...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow, your fish cake looks very authentic! Well done!

Barbara said...

That is just about the prettiest photo I've seen in a while! And it looks delicious! I wish you could make it for me, 'cause I'll probably never do it!

Namitha said...

This looks terrific Sonia..and Desond is cute as ever :-)

Sook said...

The noodle soup looks fabulous!! Have a great weekend. :)

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

Mmmm, I so love and miss fishballs! Yours look great...

3 hungry tummies said...

I do miss homemade fish balls..what a bowl of goodness that is!

Tuty @Scentofspice said...

Homemade fish cakes and fish balls are definitely better than the store-bought ones. Your soup looks so comforting in a rainy day like this.

chow and chatter said...

oh yum love fish soups and love the pic of your little boy clever thing

Simply Life said...

Wow, that looks great!

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

I really miss these S'pore food here:)me drooling here and thanks for sharing:)

hjn said...

This looks fabulous!!! Sweet photo of your baby boy! Precious!

Dinners and Dreams said...

I love these fish cakes. When I read fish cakes at first I thought they were patties. I love that it's fish slices. What a delicious soup!

Nisrine

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I do salute you for making your own fish cake and fish balls! And that photo - makes me want to immediately go out and have a bowl of fish ball noodle!

tigerfish said...

Definitely looks better than those fishball noodles we get outside :) ...there is so many fishcakes and fishballs here! I like.

ck lam said...

Glad to see the recipe in your post. Hardly get to take the time to make my own fishcake nowadays. Just missed the homemade texture.

Jo said...

This bowl of noodle looks absolutely yummy. Spanish mackeral makes for a great fish paste. My hat off to you as you really do take the time to make your own fish paste.

My Asian Kitchen said...

wow!! you so rajin make your own yee peng!! I bet it's must taste good especially with so much fish meat!!

Unknown said...

sonia

i don't know think i have the time to meet you for tea as my mom is not well. Thanks for wanting to meet

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

dear all, Thanks for stopping by, do try out this healthy meal at home, you will love it.

Yee er, sorry to know that you have joint pain, maybe you can try to use blender to blend the fish paste, my sister-in-law is using this method but I have never try myself.

Lily, is ok, take good care of your mom, hopefully we can meet each other in some other time. Take care dear.

Yee Er said...

Tkz for the tips, Sonia. My hubby will be happy to know i can try this using blender.

Cheah said...

Wow, these home made fish cake is delicious. Never tried making this before but I did watch how my mum did it and use it to stuff the tofu, chillies, etc.

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

That looks amazing! I just blogged fishball noodles too but mine is the cheater way -> fishballs from supermarket! Amazing that you made your own!

Anonymous said...

Can I substitute tapioca flour? I dont have it, and can I use any fish fillet?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin